, , , , , ,

HangEase Hangers

HangEase on Shark Tank

Collapsible Hanger's - Episode 526 - 4/4/2014

Collapsible Hanger Episode 526, 4/4/2014
HangEase Collapsible Hanger
invented by Ryan Landis
 The Shark Tank Show has featured several successful products originating from High School and College projects, but a new product envisioned for a third grade Invention Convention, just might be a brand new record.
Ryan Landis, the inventor of the "HangEase Collapsible Hangers", first got his inspiration to invent a break-away hanger after constantly breaking them from pulling to hard. Landis went right to work creating a working pro-to-type for the Invention Convention impressing all the judges solving this very real problem.

Ryan now 20 years old, might also hold another Shark Tank contestant record for being the youngest inventor to pitch the Hang Ease Hangers directly to Walmart. I can't imagine Walmart accepting too many pitches from a 10 year old (Ryan's age at the time), but they did, and he nailed the interview and got an order with the largest retailer in the world.

HangEase Hangers before Shark Tank Update


It looks like HangEase Officially started to appear in Walmart Stores back in 2006 which would seem like a very good thing at first as far as the Sharks might be concerned. But then again,
in the inventing and bringing a new product to market, 8 years is considered a very long time without making substantial progress within this market.

At least at the time of this writing, the HangEase Website seems to be about as basic as it gets, and no way to place an order for these collapsible hangers. I also found it interesting doing a quick Google Search for "Buy HangEase Hangers", the main place to buy the Hang Ease Hangers was on Ebay from a seller going by the name "Unemployed Mom". Hhm, I was wondering if UnEmployedMom which boasts a 100% positive rating on EBay sales, could possibly be Ryan's Mom. Interestingly she's from Garland, Texas, while it looks like the Landis's are from Plano, Texas approximately 30 miles away.

There's also no social media presence for HangEase that I could find which is a little unusual for such an established product going on the Shark Tank Show. I don't know, but if I didn't know any better, it looks like this once inspiring story of a very young entrepreneur talking to Mal-Mart Executives, may have faded a bit and need the Sharks help to breathe new life into this product.

Stastically speaking, the Sharks have always prefered investing in business products and services showing lots of current momentum, and avoid opportunities that have declining sales. Who knows, maybe by next Friday night, Ryan will make a few changes to the HangEase website and take advantage of the Shark Tank Effect from Fans looking to buy this unique product.

30 comments :

  1. Anonymous9:40 PM

    I liked the idea and would buy these for our closets. One benefit he failed to mention is that they can remain folded and practically vertical on the rack when unused - no tangling. Just wish they were available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:15 AM

    Good job! You may not remember me, but a few years ago, I met you and your dad at a Texas Inventors Meeting.I believe at that time you were in ,or soon to be in Walmart.Like you Ryan,My product has been sitting along side of other products I have been working on.My predicament was I also needed capitol. I did collect peoples comments on my product which was very favorable. Mine was for Pets.A novelty which also solved a problem. Good luck to you.I hope you do well. JoAnn Warner Your fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your product, have you thought about going to a 3D printing marketplace to start selling them? It's much cheaper than traditional manufacturing, zero initial inventory costs, and can easily spread to many people because of the big hype around 3d printing.....just curious.

      Delete
  3. Hate to tell you guys but, Solo collapsible hangers by Quirky has already broken into the marketplace with these. Not sure how they got around his (the young man from Hang Ease) patent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:50 PM

      Solo is much more expensive

      Delete
  4. Quirky is expensive and not as collapsible as hang ease. I prefer to buy hang ease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:45 PM

      absolutely correct. Those other hangers, and go look, suck. They don't have the same technology these do and therefor make these more functional. The other hangers look like obvious 'how can I get around the patent' type hangers.

      Delete
  5. I love this invention. The Solo is clearly a different design. It acts more like a reverse-opening pair of scissors where the handles overlap. It's also nearly $17 for a pack of 4 from what I see online (in the UK). The HangEase is single pivot where a single joint snaps back into place. This guy is selling a pack of 4 for $3.89.

    Personally I way prefer the HangEase. Cheap, easy to use, and I don't mind it being 3x the price of a normal hanger because how often do I change hangers??? As soon as it's available here I will order a wardrobe full.

    Phillip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solo hangers are also 20 bucks for a 4 pack and uses a different pressure release system

    ReplyDelete
  7. margaret a. m. coe5:38 PM

    I am most interested in this product. I think that it is a super idea. I am presently on this web site because I am trying to find out where I can purchase this item. Good luck, Ryan. Peggy Coe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:42 PM

    Solo is twice the price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. solos seem to be twice the price and harder to use. just from looking at pictures. the kids hangers are really nice and simple I hope he becomes a millionaire from selling them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:31 AM

    Solo is not the same, this collapses when pulled solo folds. This is a far better design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:28 AM

    The Solo hangers are much more expensive ($18 for a pack of 4 on Amazon) - the Sharks complained about $3.89 for a pack of 4 Hang-Ease - and appear to be infringing on this young man's patent. I think it's terrible the Sharks gave him a hard time for taking time to finish elementary through 12th grade education before committing himself to his invention and product like he just blew off the last 10 years instead of finishing school first. The product is tested as marketable with good sales. The young man has a patent - not a patent pending. I'm disappointed in the Sharks' responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:39 AM

      I just counted 56 hangers so average house of 4 say need 200 hangers. How many household are there in America that would spend a 1.00 per hanger ? I'd bet allot more than one thinks. I hope he sells millions !!!!

      Delete
    2. The ones from Quirky require you to push a button to release the hinge and it looks like the other half of the hook dangles when it does. I see this tangling as much as the regular hangers. Ryan's design appears to be simpler and more thoughtful. It answers several if not all problems, not just one, that I have with traditional hangers. Quirky answers only one that I can see.

      Delete
  12. I am absolutely delighted and thrilled by this young man, his product, and his follow through
    I hope he goes all the way to the top. I would fill every closet in my house with these.
    Being the mother of 3 not counting my husband, we would all benefit! Best wishes
    Elizabeth Dodge, mn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:37 PM

    When can I buy them? I've been looking for something like this for years!!! I want to buy them!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where can I buy them. Went into the Container Store looking for them and they have nothing like this. Please help

    ReplyDelete
  15. The collapsing when pulled is my huge selling point. We have 2 boys in our house that are constantly breaking hangers and $1 each would more than be cheaper than the number of replacement hangers that we have bought. I like someone elses comment that another great selling point is that if need be stored they wont get all tangled up. I like Mark's comment about no boomeranging. I can afford the prices of similar hangers and the just don't have the complete utility of his that I NEED! Market to parents and let me know as soon as you start selling them again. If you go to his website you can shoot him some words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want these hangers sooooo bad!! My kids are constantly pulling their clothes off the hangers and the hangers break, or fly off the closet rack. Wish I could buy now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just saw the episode on Shark Tank...I would love to buy these hangers!!! I am a Professional with children and the hangers would be such a help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1:46 PM

    If you have kids or teens you would instantly know why this is a great idea. I never go to Wal-Mart but do buy tons of things on Amazon. Get it up there kid and I'll buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:29 AM

    I want it

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need these for my son!!!!!I have hangers that were sling shot all over my laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous9:57 PM

    I am disabled and while watching ST tonite I kept yelling at tv during segment "I need these" I have severe neuropathy in my hands..these hangers would allow me to cut out steps to hand shirts as well as doing it faster and with less pain..sign me up..where can these be purchased

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a severe pain disability that affects the strength in my hands. This would be sooooooo helpful to disabled and seniors alike, who lose strength and agility in their hands. Just look at all of the other products for this market....

      Delete
  22. Anonymous10:14 PM

    US Patent for folding hanger with Ryan Landis listed as one of the inventors: US7237702

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would totally buy them my wife would be happy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi I just watched this rerun of shark tank and seen the hangers and I stumble across this site while looking them up. About 2weeks ago I was hanging up clothes when I noticed I had to run upstairs to my sons bedroom for his hangers then I had to go to my daughters bedroom for her hangers then I was like there's so many hangers so I invented the all In one hanger so I started noticing the price of the different size hangers why would I spend a lot of money for different size hangers when I can build one hanger that goes from toddler to adult in the long run it would save us all money in the long run we wouldn't be buying 3 different size hangers and we wouldn't be running upstairs all the time for different size hangers if you like the idea please let me know and thanks for your time

    ReplyDelete